Friday, October 16, 2009

Location Location Location!!

Location, location, location. No, not real estate, but it's the movie business that seems to be following me 'round town. ["Dahhh ling.... step to the left please for all autographs..."] When living in Prahran they were always filming in the Greville village at the end of my street, with the Cato Street car park regularly in use as home base for catering, tech. and make-up vans. In January when I waved goodbye to the nightclubs, junkies, trendies and the highlife to sail over the bridge and live in Sunny Seddon, I thought I'd be leaving all that behind me. I thought all I'd see were the peaceful landscape of gum trees on the Maribyrnong, the sun setting over rusted-out cars and, of course, the magnificent view from the railway overpass. From the overpass, you can see the whole area...out west with the light in your eyes....out west towards the iconic Sun Cinema lying over to the left in sleepy Yarraville.

Mais non! It seems Seddon is the new Westgarth, Footscray is the new Carlton and Yarraville is the new Windsor, with the cop show Rush being filmed regularly around the local streets. They use the empty block in Sommerville Road as their base and Seddon shops might as well be Greville Street for all the catering vans and film crews lingering around. I have watched the show and, yes, recognised many of the locations both visually and in the sometimes pithy script, "Quick boys, there's a punch up in the alley next to the Charles Street video library in Seddon! Let's go!" But hang on, wait... yes, there is indeed an alley next to the video library in Charles Street (not even a block from my door)....and yes, that's exactly where they filmed, later showing off Seddon Station and Newport, as well as some very CSI shots of the city from Williamstown. Recognised every one. So just when I think its a one-off programme, perhaps saluting the history of Blue Heelers being shot around Williamstown for years.... hey presto Vince Colosimo and Nick Giannopoulos stopped traffic in Yarraville recently, filming Wog Boys II; tight jeans, leather jackets, valiant and all. Location, location, location.

No comments: