Friday, April 25, 2014

Lt. Col. Stanley Holm Watson


Stan Watson (R )
Supervising build of the pier.






On Anzac Day 2012 I tweeted the story of my Great Grandfather, Lt Col. Stanley Watson and his time at Gallipoli. Some people suggested I keep the story so here its is, as it was tweeted.  Keep in mind as a series of tweets, there is an element of abruptness in the writing.  One day perhaps, we'll write his story in full.  

Salute to the Turks today on #ANZACDay which should be called #Gallipoli Day. It was the beginning of democracy for Turkey and effected all.

The Bridging Train transport ship provided the timber for the pier. With no equipment the major issue was the driving of the piles. Upon the completion of Watson's Pier on June 18th, Lt. Col Foote said "Waterloo day! Let's have a dinner to celebrate".
First Waterloo Dinner Menu
First Waterloo Dinner Menu. Worth a read.

Stan put the Major through to each post in turn to give orders to withdraw troops. At 3am the final call was to the machine gunners. Stan was given the task to build the 1st pier at Gallipoli named "Watson's Pier". These were the most shelled piers in the hist of the war. 

The shell made safe, "The pier was under artillery fire and work proceeded..except when the Turks shelled the beach"

If I pause, I can still feel the touch of his tweed jacket and the comforting woody smell of his cigars through the rough wool. 

Salute also to the French at Villers Bretonneux. We rebuilt their school in 1918. They rebuilt ours in 2009

Here's a bit of a story of my Great Grandfather Lt Col. Stanley Watson who fought at Gallipoli, Amiens and returned home. He died in 1985.

The story is not that of the Gallipoli campaign. Feel free to look up those details. This is the story my G.Grandfather. Henceforth "Stan".Stan Watson was born in 1887 in Adelaide. 

In 1904 he was apprenticed to the S.A Railway workshops whilst he studied Engineering at night. In 1910 he enlisted as a 2nd Lieut in the 6th Field Troop of Engineers. 

When war broke out enlisted in the 1st Aust Div Signals Co as Lieut.Stan landed at ANZAC cove early in the am, 97 years ago today. He had the task of estab telephone systems and communications under fire.

What was needed in the chaos of the Gallipoli landing was to establish a pier for landing supplies and giving some order to the cove.A 9 inch Turkish piercing shell lay on the slope and he decided it could do the job. 

However it was still an armed shell.Gpa didn't speak of the war, but he did mention later to his contemporaries that de-lousing that shell was the scariest thing he did. 

His hands were sweating and slippery, his heart rate increased and he knew it could explode. In his words: "This I did with some fear".

I'm quoting from Gpa's unpublished memoir "Gallipoli, The Tragic Truth" of which I have a copy. There is also a copy with the @AWMemorialThe pier "comprised 19 bays to a depth of water 12-13 feet and was 210 feet long". It was finished on 18th June. 


Sapper Roach, an artist, produced a decorative menu and "The dinner was a great success- the food monotonous". The Waterloo Dinner was born.

The Royal Australian Corps of Engineers Annual Dinner is called the Waterloo Dinner to this day. Grandpa never missed one. (hic!)

The pier underwent tremendous shelling but played a significant role in the difficulties of the Gallipoli campaign.

These days we're getting beyond the blame game regarding the botched Gallipoli landing but in Gpas writings it's raw and new.

He greatly respected Gen Monash, Lt Gen Birdwood and Sir Ian Hamilton, but blamed Admiral de Robeck who was commanding the British fleet.

Robeck was"one who refused to commit his battleships to the task..He weighed his ships against the sacrifice of one hundred thousand lives.""..and the battleships won. 

His failure to take decisive action on march 21/22 was contrary to orders and the plan of the campaign"Robeck knew the plans but had no intention of carrying them through. Kitchener said at the time"The Navy is afraid of getting its feet wet"

The orders for the evac. of Gallipoli was done by phone. Major Wisdom was at the pier, Stan at the wireless station on the beach. 

Stan waited 30 minutes for another call to come through but none came. He tried calling but the line was dead so he evacuated himself. 

Arriving back at the Pier, the beach telephone had gone. No call was going to come through so his decision to leave was a wise one. 

Captain Littler was the last person to leave Gallipoli. Stan did the final check of the beach then he and Littler boarded the lighter. Littler wrote: "Capt SH Watson was the last officer I sent on board at North Beach on the evacuation of Anzac". 

Gallipoli was over.For his services Stan was awarded the order of the "White Eagle of Serbia". 

He served the rest of the war with the 2nd Aust Div. For his work at the Battle of the Somme he was awarded the Military Cross; for managing communications at Amiens, the Service Cross. 

But those stories are for another day. For me he was my Gpa and I knew him as a gentle old man with a sadness in his eyes at mention of WWII . I was very lucky to know him for the first 18 years of my life. He was very lucky to live to the age he did.  His official biography is here.  





6 comments:

Owen said...

I met another Watson in Tassie who was a Gson of Stan.

I met Stan in the 70s. He had a pipe he couldn't stop smoking!

The School of Signals has an Ivor Hele painting that Stan contributed $200, I had to collect the money off him. I still remember going to hid house.

One of his friends was Jimmy Thyer, 8 Div (Signals) man.

Another day, another age, we will not see the like of the again

Jon said...

Lt. Col. Stanley Watson was my mother's uncle, known affectionately as Uncle Stan. His brother Ben was my grandfather, and I recall being fascinated as a child by his enormous Cadillac with a menagerie of plastic Schleich animals glued to its dashboard.
In later years, my three brothers and I came to identify him with a different side of the ANZAC myth: laconic respect for proficiency and a healthy distrust of 'official history'. He always held my mother's undying respect as a man of integrity and competence, despite (or possibly because of?) the Watson family's occasional predilection for closet skeletons.
I found your interesting blog after reading Joshua's piece in the Weekend Australian. I now teach in a school less than a km from Barryne, where he retired (and I used to visit), and I never tire of pointing out his portrait and medals to my students whenever excursions take us to the Adelaide Railway Station.
Thank you for sharing your recollections.

Claudia Funder said...

Hi Jon. Thanks for the comment. So you're my grandmothers first cousin once removed! How tremendous. Everyone tells stories of the famous Cadillac and GGrandpa's terrifying driving around the Adelaide Hills! Maybe I should update this blog, given Josh's book about which I have some mixed feelings. Do tell more about the skeletons in the closet! The Watsons and the Funders have a few of those, like most families. Totally agree that he disliked 'official history' and enjoyed proficiency, efficiency, hard work etc.

Unknown said...

Just stumbled on this very interesting post today because I had cause to remember Stan Watson in relation to Watsons Pier and Waterloo Dinners. I organised the 1984 NSW Waterloo Dinner and whilst I can't recall the specifics of getting in contact with Stan who I found a wonderful man. However we got him to the dinner in the School of Military Engineering in Syfney.

My recollection was that he was stunned we had been holding Waterloo Dinners every year and mentioning his name and he said it was the first he had been to. He also said that he always thought of himself as a Signaller and not an Engineer..which of course is true.

This conflicts with the post that says he always attended a Waterloo Dinner each year.

I'm not taking anything away from Stan's key position in Australian military history. But could I ask, in case my memory is fading....did Stan always attend Waterloo Dinners as I felt the 1984 one was the first he had attended since 1915.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.