Monday, September 28, 2009

Go The Dogs!

(with translations and apologies for the non-Aussie readers)

Of course the footy (Australian Rules Football) is being dissected to the most miniscule micron this morning in the newspapers and on the radio after the Grand Final was played here in Melbourne on Saturday (US readers think Superbowl) Congrats to the Cats (Geelong) on their win and EQUAL congratulations to The Saints (St. Kilda) on the fight of your lives and an incredible season.

It sounds like I know something about footy but I really don't. My strategy is to barrack for (support) the local team which of course changes every time I move house around Melbourne. [Note: the house does not move, I move. Much easier]. So over the years I've supported Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Footscray and even Carlton. Now, back in the West, I'm back to barracking for the Dogs; (Aka Western Bulldogs from Footscray) who often have a cuppa at the cafe at the end of my street which is ironically, or appropriately, named Le Chien. Le Chien is owned by a lovely Englishman named Andy who is waay more interested in the cricket.

On the weekend I discovered our family, historically, are Collingwood supporters. OMG!!!! Apparently when Grandpa and Grandma came over from Adelaide they took on Collingwood as their team. They were living in Ashburton then Kew. Couldn't have they at least chosen Hawthorn or Richmond?? So am I supposed to join the loudest most rambunctious mob in the AFL and scream "Garrrn the poiys" (come on the magpies). Sorry Grandpa. I can't do it.

Collingwood fans have a shocking reputation and I can't join the magpie rabble. Who would think some of my closest friends, usually intelligent, discerning, amusing and witty, turn into screaming banshees during the footy season cursing everyone in their path and screaming blue murder, allowing their general outlook and attitude to be so effected by whether "their boys" have had a win ... or not.

When growing up we were never a footy family. I think that's obvious by now. My sister married a St Kilda fan and I received a call from her a few years ago.. "We're off to the footy on Saturday. Want to come?" Goodness yes! It was great to go with my niece and nephew and I barracked for the opposing team just to wind them up. I also learnt some of the rules and could see the play across the whole field. It was great fun.

So my niece and nephew are growing up a footy family and they're St Kilda fans. St Kilda were in the grand final (huzzah!) on Saturday and Lost (bummer) and my nephew cried. Given their last win of the Premiership (um.. premier cup is awarded at the end of the season) was in 1966 tis time for the Saints to come marching in. Maybe next year..

I actually spent the weekend in Brisbane who's local team is the Brisbane Lions. In fact they used to be the Fitzroy Lions but they moved to Brisbane. Just as South Melbourne moved to Sydney and became the Sydney Swans (due to an influx of Western Australians from Perth, situated on the river Swan). Well, I suppose some sacrifices have to be made when the local sport goes national. When the Fitzroy Lions moved to Brisbane I was working at the Performing Arts Museum in Melbourne and we found photos of Fitzroy training with the Australian Ballet in the 1930's. Fabulous photo which made the paper at the time. Great photo but I can't find it on the internet.

I am however learning more about the game that commenced in this city since and probably before 1858. Here is a great website to teach women who don't know about sport, about sport without it making you feel silly or being condescending: http://www.sheknowstherules.com/

So I think I'll enter the footy tipping next year.. GO THE DOGS!!

No comments: